Saturday, April 5, 2014

I Have Always Loved Libraries



April is School Library Month and I feel that there is no better time to kick this blog off and formally introduce myself to the library world. Hi, my name is Marci. I love children's literature and exciting children about books. While I have been a librarian for 10 years, my love of books and libraries goes way back.

As a child, my parents read to me all the time. Night after night I begged them to read Are You My Mother? and a book who repeated the line, "I'm thinking about eggs" over and over again and every night my parents complied. Not only did I love being read out loud to, but I loved reading and fell in love with libraries. Mrs. Loftis, the librarian in my elementary school, not only made library fun and but she made books come alive. She allowed me to check books out before they were available to other students which made me feel incredibly special. The things I learned in the library carried over into the classroom and in 4th grade I took it upon myself to reorganize the classroom library.


When I graduated from college, I had no idea what I wanted to do and really what does one do with an communications degree? My mom suggested becoming a school librarian because I had always loved books. I went back to school, got a degree in education and fell in love with teaching. After eleven years in the classroom, I decided it was time to go back to school and get my Masters in Library and Information Sciences. Ever since then I have been a librarian to kindergarten to fourth graders. I love every moment of my job. I love the craziness of my schedule. I love interacting with the children and getting them excited about books. I love the moment when they discover a new book or series and want to share it with me or a friend. Their excitement is contagious. I love the people and the teachers that I work with. I am so lucky to love what I do and honestly can not imagine having a career better than this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment