Friday, July 4, 2014

Walking and Listening to "The Dragonet Prophecy"

Sutherland, Tui T. Wings of Fire: The Dragonet Prophecy. 8cds. 8hrs. 32 min. Scholastic Audio. 2012. ISBN. 978-0-54-543444-7. Digital Download from Overdrive

For the last few years the students in my library, from the first graders to the fourth graders, have been obsessed with these books. Counting down until the next one came out, wanting me to buy it the moment it did (which I did). I hadn't read them and had no idea what it was about these books that they loved so much.  Now that I have listened to The Dragonet Prophecy, I think I get it.


The dragons are extremely human like. Their personalities, actions, behaviors and dialog are so much like a persons that I often forgot that they were dragons. There was a childlike innocence about the dragonets that I think the children relate to. Also because there were five dragonets, all with different personalities, there was one that you would be drawn to and root for. The fight scenes were not bloody, scary or graphically described. In fact they were over fairly quickly which was nice. The story is told in a way that is easy for the kids to follow. It moves quickly and I think even the most reluctant reader would enjoy it.

Shannon McManus does a great job narrating this book. I liked how her voice was childlike, reflecting the innocence and personalities of the dragonets, while not sounding like what an adult thinks a child sounds like or babyish. That can be so annoying. 

Here is a photo I took one exceptionally beautiful morning while I was out walking and listening to this book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment