Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Best Thing About My Trip to Germany? Visiting Bookstores and Libraries Of Course!

One of things that I love to do when I'm traveling is visit bookstores and libraries. I love to see which English books they have translated into their language and to see what kids are reading there. My recent trip to Germany was no different.

Picture books: I was very surprised to see how few picture books many of the German bookstores had. Typically all they had was a shelf, like the one below, with picture books on either side and that was it.
One of the bookstores I visited in Munich had this amazing kids room right off of the kids section where children and their parents could read and play together.
That same bookstore had amazing seating areas throughout for people to sit back, relax and read.
I loved seeing my students favorites like,  The Dot, This is Not My Hat, I Want My Hat Back and Mister Tiger Goes Wild translated into German.


The most popular English title that I saw time and time again in the German bookstores? A tried and true classic The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Chapter Books: The selection of chapter books was quite impressive, which surprised me after seeing the picture book section. There were many more English chapter books translated into German.  There really are no surprises when it comes to what is popular in the chapter book section, these are all extremely popular in my library too. I loved seeing Origami Yoda, Diary of a Wimpy Kid  and Warriors translated for the German children to enjoy.
Libraries: My Germany guidebook pointed out a library that I must visit while I was in Wurzberg. While it was hotter than hot inside of it, the children's section was bright, colorful and full of books.
This super cute used bookstore was nearby, in the middle of the sidewalk.



I highly recommend that anyone traveling to another country visit a bookstore or library during their vacation. It really can be quite interesting and a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment