Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Walking and Listening to "A Snicker of Magic"

Lloyd, Natalie. A Snicker of Magic. 8cds. 8 hours 14 minutes. Scholastic Audiobooks. 2014. $34.99. ISBN 978-0-545-70679-7

Warning...do not listen to this book while out walking. Your walk will be consumed by thoughts of ice cream, ice cream flavors and trying to figure out when you can get ice cream again. All silliness aside, from the moment this audiobook began, I was hooked and in love with this story. In the words of Felicity Pickle, this book is "spindiddley."

While I could go on and on about this book, I think it's best that I don't. I want people to have the opportunity to discover and enjoy it in their own way, like I did. Sure, I had seen the cover and knew that the book had gotten glowing reviews, but I didn't know much more than that. The moment the banjo began to play and Cassandra Morris spoke, I was hooked. I am going to encourage the teachers at my school to read this book aloud to their students. I think there are so many activities than can be done alongside it and lessons that their students can take away from it. Wouldn't it be great if a child in the room took on the role of the Beedle and did good for others in their classroom or community?

Please read this book, spread the word. I hope you love it as much as I did.

I took this picture one morning while I was out walking. The color of the sky reminded me of the colors of the book cover.


No comments:

Post a Comment