Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Special Delivery!

It all started when a mysterious package arrived two weeks ago.
It ended with me chanting, "CHUGGA, CHUGGA, CHUGGA" and the children shouting back, "BEANS! BEANS! BEANS!"
Waiting for March 3rd to arrive was painful, worse than Christmas. Sneak peeks were attempted on numerous occasions, but just as I about to rip open the brown package or try to open the red envelope in a way that no one would notice, my conscience got the better of me and I moved the package out of sight. When the day FINALLY ARRIVED and Mr. Lum's second graders walked in the door, I begged them to turn their books in as quickly as possible and meet me on the carpet. When they saw the package sitting on my rocking chair, the questions began to fly. The only way to answer their questions was to rip the envelope and package open. 
Inside was a letter and the new book, Special Delivery, written by Philip C. Stead and illustrated by Matthew Cordell. As I began to read, the laughter began to start, from both me and the students. 
After quite a few rounds of, ""CHUGGA, CHUGGA, CHUGGA""BEANS! BEANS! BEANS!"I asked the kids "If you could send a package to anyone, anywhere around the world what would you send them and why?" I told them that they would be writing their answers on postcards that we'd be sending to one of Mr. Schu's classes in Naperville, IL.
They couldn't wait to get to get started.
The postcards were finished, the craziest things were sent, and the postcards immediately sent off to Mr. Schu. We can't wait to get postcards from Mr. Schu's class and hear what they would send to someone.
We all had a blast celebrating #SpecialDeliveryDay, opening a mysterious package, reading a fabulous story, pouring over the pictures, making connections with new friends and laughing and chanting all the way.

Side Note: If you loved this book, the pictures in this book, stamps or the work of Matthew Cordell in general, there is a way for you to get a original piece of art. I can't wait to make a donation. I am crossing my fingers that I win!
Another side note: Are you looking for some fun activities to do with your class?
Just click on the book cover below and you're on your way!


No comments:

Post a Comment