Sunday, August 21, 2016

The Best Thing About My Trip to Austria? The Libraries and Bookstores Of Course!

When I first started planning my trip to Austria, I knew that I wanted to make a trip to Österreichische Nationalbibliothek, The National Library in Vienna.  Not just because I took an oath as a librarian to visit every library humanly possible, but because I had read it was amazing. Trust me, it was just that, truly stunning and really is something you should visit whether you love books or not. The paintings, the statues, the history and the exhibit are all worth a visit. Here's a sneak peek. Don't forget to look up while you are there. If you don't, you'll miss out on the frescos on the ceiling.

While there is art all around you, the walls are covered floor to ceiling in books.The bookshelves themselves are also pieces of art.
Bookstores! I could not believe how many bookstores there were in Austria. On the short walk from my hotel to the City Center of Vienna, which was a straight shot on one street, there were 6 bookstores! Each one very different from the other. Some had large children sections, some had fun areas for children to sit and read in and some had large sections of books translated from English into German. 
All the bookstores I visited had amazing window displays. This one features children's books.
There were some great reading spaces in the bookstores. Right before I took the picture of the house a little boy crawled out looking as happy as can be carrying a big stack of books. The boat, as you can see, is being enjoyed by a parent and child.
The children's spaces, no matter how big or small, were always colorful and inviting.
As I visited the bookstores in Austria, I continued my search for popular English books that had been translated into German. I found more translated picture books here than I had in Prague.
I was thrilled to finally find some Elephant and Piggie books. I have been looking for those for quite some time.
I loved finding books by Drew Daywalt, Kwame Alexander and Mike Curato

Percy Jackson was everywhere. The cover was quite different from what I had seen in Prague.
I also found the hilarious The Tapper Twins Go to War and The Terrible Two Get Even Worse. I hope the Austrian kids find them as funny as my students and I do!
I loved how different the Magic Tree House book covers were and can't wait to show the kids at school the covers for their favorite Warriors books.



















No comments:

Post a Comment