Monday, October 24, 2016

Walking and Listening to "Whatever After: Fairest of All

Whatever Ever After: Fairest of All by Sarah Mlynowski
Scholastic Audio
2014

Yes, I am a little late to this party. I've shown countless children where to find this book on the shelf over the years, yet had never read it myself. They'd come back to the library wanting the next one and the next one, dying to know when the next book was going to come out, telling their friends all about it and getting them hooked too. After listening to just the first chapter, I get the appeal, I want to keep reading too. It's a fun, lighthearted read which fairytale fans will enjoy.

Abby's family has just moved to Smithville. Sounds rather dull doesn't it? It turns out to be anything but that when Abby's younger brother Jonah wakes her up in the middle of the night to say that mirror in the basement is humming. Reluctantly she follows him, only to be swept into the mirror and taken away to another world. There they stumble upon an apple seller knocking on a young girl's door, begging her to take the apple that she has. Not understanding why the girl refuses to open the door, Jonah tries to get the woman to give him the apple instead because he is starving. They soon learn that the woman is not who she says (turns out to be the young woman's evil step-mother) and that the girl was wise not to take the apple. Furious the woman leaves and Abby and Jonah convince her to let them in. Who is that young woman you ask? Why it's Snow White and inadvertently Abby and Jonah have changed the course of her story.

I really enjoyed Emily Eiden's narration of this story. Her voice was perky, enthusiastic and bubbly which is just how I pictured Abby to be. I enjoyed the rock 'n roll type music in the beginning and the fairytale type music in the end.

I love walking early in the morning this time of year because I can catch beautiful sunrises like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment